Tuesday, February 14, 2012

BMT Youth Troupe - "I Hope I Get It!"


Personally, I've been waiting to do this number with somebody.  Even better - I get to teach it.  Boy, is the BMT Youth Troupe senior class gonna have a great time with this one ...

If you are one of those awesome students Melissa, Antonio and I see on Saturday mornings, welcome!  Very glad to have you, please don't be afraid to browse the blog and hit that 'Follow' button on the right to keep updated on other cool stuff.  (You'll find some posts about the BMT show Guys & Dolls here, as well!)  In the meantime, let's talk about the piece you'll be performing in May - the opening number, "I Hope I Get It" from the rousing Broadway classic A Chorus Line!

The entire show is an audition process, taking place on a bare stage with a a bevvy of dancers auditioning to be chosen for a chorus line in a Broadway show.  We see a glimpse of each character as they describe events in their personal lives that lead them to choose their 'career path'.  Each with a unique background, here are the nineteen main characters of A Chorus Line (source from Wikipedia):
  • Zach, the imperious, successful director running the audition.
  • Larry, his assistant.
The Auditioners:
  • Don Kerr, a married man who once worked in a strip club.
  • Maggie Winslow, a sweet woman who grew up in a broken home.
  • Mike Costa, an aggressive dancer who learned to tap at an early age.
  • Connie Wong, a petite Chinese-American who seems ageless.
  • Greg Gardner, a sassy Jewish gay man who divulges his first experience with a woman.
  • Cassie Ferguson, a once successful solo dancer down on her luck and a former love of Zach's.
  • Sheila Bryant, a sexy, aging dancer who tells of her unhappy childhood.
  • Bobby Mills, Sheila's best friend who jokes about his conservative upbringing in Buffalo, New York.
  • Bebe Benzenheimer, a young dancer who only feels beautiful when she dances.
  • Judy Turner, a tall, gawky, and quirky dancer.
  • Richie Walters, an enthusiastic black man who once planned to be a kindergarten teacher.
  • Al DeLuca, an Italian-American who takes care of his wife.
  • Kristine Urich (DeLuca), Al's scatter-brained wife who can't sing.
  • Val Clark, a foul-mouthed but excellent dancer who couldn't get performing jobs because of her looks until she had plastic surgery.
  • Mark Anthony, the youngest dancer who recounts the time he told his priest he thought he had gonorrhea.
  • Paul San Marco, a gay Puerto Ricanwho dropped out of high school and survived a troubled childhood.
  • Diana Morales, Paul's friend, another Puerto Rican who was underestimated by her teachers.
Cut dancers:
  • Tricia, who has a brief vocal solo.
  • Vicki, who never studied ballet.
  • Lois, who dances like a ballerina.
  • Roy, who can't get the arms right ("Wrong arms Roy").
  • Butch, who gives attitude in the audition.
  • Tom, an all-American jock.
  • Frank, who looks at his feet when he dances ("headband").
Like with most audition processes (or for those who haven't done an audition before, think a job interview that you'd really like to score), it can become a high-tension environment, especially when you're surrounded by your competition.  There's some great character work and 'nightmare audition moments' we'll have some fun with to really bring the authenticity to the piece.

Check out the original Broadway cast from 1975 perform "I Hope I Get It" on the Tony Awards and check out some of the character work done by the actors.



The musical has also been made into a movie in 1985 and has quite a cult following. Here is the movie cast (you might catch a glimpse of Michael Douglas!) performing the finale number, One. Watch how the chorus line becomes never-ending through the mirror - watch closely!



And now that brings us to your practice video - with lyrics! I will be creating a practice track based on the 2006 Broadway Revival cast, to which Melissa will be arranging the choreography. Did you remember the groups she put you into? Okay, try your best to remember, there's a clue in the video what it's for. You can copy n' paste the lyrics after the video to print for yourself, if you like. AND A WARNING - this may be edited for length, dance segments may be changed, as well as spoken dialog! We'll let you know of those changes ...

In the meantime, enjoy! (I'm rather proud of this one, lemme know what you think!)


ZACH:
(spoken) 
Step, kick, kick, leap, kick, touch...Again!
Step, kick, kick, leap, kick, touch...Again!
Step, kick, kick, leap, kick, touch...Again!
Step, kick, kick, leap, kick, touch...Right!

That connects with...
Turn, turn, out, in, jump, step,
Step, kick, kick, leap, kick, touch.
Got it?... 

Going on. And...
Turn, turn, touch, down, back, step,
Pivot, step, walk, walk, walk.

Right! Let's do the whole combination,
Facing away from the mirror.
From the top. 

A-FIVE, SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT!

[DANCE BREAK]

ALL:
God, I hope I get it.
I hope I get it.
How many people does he need?

BOYS:
How many people does he need?

GIRLS:
God, I hope I get it.

ALL:
I hope I get it.
How many boys, how many girls?

GIRLS:
How many boys, how many...?

ALL:
Look at all the people!
At all the people.
How many people does he need?
How many boys, how many girls?
How many people does he...?

TRICIA:
I really need this job.
Please God, I need this job.
I've got to get this job.

ZACH:
(spoken) 
Okay, now the ballet routine …
(continual dialog TBD)

And, one-two-three four-five-six!

[DANCE BREAK]

ALL:
God, I really blew it!
I really blew it!
How could I do a thing like that?

BOYS:
How could I do a thing like...

ALL:
Now I'll never make it!
I'll never make it!
He doesn't like the way I look.
He doesn't like the way I dance.
He doesn't like the way I...

[DANCE BREAK]

ZACH:
(spoken) 
Alright, I’m eliminating down now.
Girls first row, boys second row …
(continual dialog TBD)

ALL:
GOD, I think I've got it.
I think I've got it.
I knew he liked me all the time.

ZACH:
(spoken) 
Alright, I need your pictures and resumes, please.
(continual dialog TBD)

ALL:                                                  MAGGIE:
Still it isn’t over,                                What's coming next?
It isn't over.                                        MIKE:
I can’t imagine what he wants           What happens now?

GIRLS:
I can't imagine what he...

ALL:
God, I hope I get it!
I hope I get it.
I've come this far, but even so
It could be yes, it could be no,
How many people does he...?

I really need this job.

A FEW VOICES:
My unemployment is gone.

ALL:
Please, God, I need this job.

A FEW VOICES:
I knew I had it from the start.

ALL:
I've got to get this show!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...