Monday, March 19, 2012

BMT's 'Guys & Dolls' - Welcome to the Hot Box Club!


Rehearsals have now become a sexy time, now that I've joined the Hot Box Posse!  It's been about a month since I had been asked to be part of a fantastic group of girls who have helped me become the best dancer I can be.  I just hope I don't make the rest of 'em look bad, I'm working so hard.

I remember taking ballet when I was two, and quitting when I was two-and-a-half.  I guess we're finicky at that age when it comes to what we find entertaining.  I don't remember why I didn't want to go back, but for some reason I didn't like it.  Hindsight is always twenty-twenty, because I wish I had stuck with the training.

I've been in plenty of musicals and know my way around a mean jazz square thanks to many a patient choreographer, but I've never had the pleasure of studying the discipline of dance and movement from a proper teacher.  I'm a great mimic when it comes to things like that, and I'm familiar with how my body moves and looks, thanks to lots of mirror study.  Getting over looking at yourself in the mirror when you potentially look like a fool is the greatest asset any dancer, singer or actor can have - you know what you look like when your body, face and posture are doing things they don't normally do, you can correct yourself accordingly.  The mirror has been my best friend when it comes to this dancing, making sure I've got everything where it should be; kicking the proper leg up, hands in proper position, making sure I'm singing at the same time!

Stephanie, our choreographer, and April, our dance captain, are so patient with me.  It's probably my unnecessary paranoia that they want to chuck high heels at the back of my head.  I have such high respect for the training dancers endure, the discipline they have for their art.  I'm rather honoured to be a Hot Box Girl, really, and to be able to learn a little more about how to perform as a dancer with proper posture and poise.

We've got two numbers we're working on for the show, "Bushel and a Peck" and "Take Back Your Mink".  Choreo's all done, now it's just practice, practice, practice - the only way to Carnegie Hall ... or in our case, Rose Theatre!

Come see the turnout of all that time practicing April 12-14, 2012 at the Rose Theatre in Brampton!  Tickets are on sale online!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...