Friday, March 23, 2012

Synergy Theatre Class: 'Pinball Wizard' Skit for TOMMY

My biggest challenge yet when it came to my Theatre Arts classes at Synergy Performing Arts Academy was with writing a skit for my class performing 'Pinball Wizard' from the rock musical TOMMY.  Technically, the musical is a rock opera without actual spoken parts, so I wanted to make sure I wrote a scene that would reflect the message of the play; that being yourself, regardless of what makes you different, is the best thing you can offer the world.  I'm really proud of the kids and how they've taken to the material, being such a heavy piece itself, and they took to the message rather with flying colours.

I had written with script excluding our main character, Tommy, who is deaf, dumb and blind throughout most of the play.  Instead, I had picked out a few characters to focus on in the skit who are celebrating Tommy's achievements as they walk the red carpet before the 'Pinball Wizard Spectacular' begins. 


PINBALL WIZARD SKIT – THE RED CARPET ENTRANCE


SALLY SIMPSON and MRS. WALKER, the red carpet interviewers, are already on stage, amongst the cheer and applause of TOMMY’S fans behind them, behind a ‘velvet rope’ and holding support signs, awaiting to enter the concert.  (Think ‘Entertainment Tonight’ with your delivery!)

SALLY SIMPSON
Hi, I’m Sally Simpson, president of the Tommy Fan Club …

MRS. WALKER
And I’m Mrs. Walker, proud mother to the Bally table champion himself …

SALLY SIMPSON
And we’re live at the biggest event of the year – Tommy’s Pinball Wizard Spectacular!  What an incredible feat - this deaf, dumb and blind boy has managed to beat every pinball wizard in the country!

MRS. WALKER
That’s right, Sally Simpson, and with us tonight to celebrate Tommy’s amazing success are his family, friends, and a few celebrities we’re bound to run into here on the red carpet!  Sally, you look rather dashing, who are you wearing?

SALLY SIMPSON
Why, thank you, Mrs. Walker!  I’m wearing … (ad lib)  And tell me a bit about who you’re wearing?

MRS. WALKER
You’re too kind!  I’m wearing ... (ad lib)

SALLY SIMPSON
Hey, look!  I think our first guest is Cousin Kevin, onetime childhood adversary to Tommy.  Tell us how you’re responsible for his success today?



COUSIN KEVIN enters and struts to the ladies.

COUSIN KEVIN
Well, it’s simple, really.   I was trying to make fun of him at first, because what deaf, dumb and blind kid can play pinball, really?  I mean, what are you going to do – smell your way through a game?   Well, he sure showed me!  Those digit counters started falling, and all I could think was “WOOOOW! He sure plays a mean pinball!”

MRS. WALKER
What message do you have for Tommy tonight?

COUSIN KEVIN
Well, Tommy, I’m sorry I picked on you so much all these years, but you’re a big inspiration to all of us, because you show us that we can be ourselves and still be awesome!

PINBALL WIZARD enters and walks over to the fans to sign some autographs.

MRS. WALKER
Thank you, Cousin Kevin!  (COUSIN KEVIN exits, waving goodbye.)  And look who else we have – former Pinball Wizard Champion (name here)!  (PINBALL WIZARD struts over to the ladies.) Tell us about the moment you heard that Tommy, a deaf, dumb and blind boy, beat the highest score on the Bally table of all time, yours?

PINBALL WIZARD
I’ve been playing in arcades all over this country, and I’ve never met anybody like him.  It’s like he becomes part of the machine!  I’m happy to give up my crown to such an amazing player.

SALLY SIMPSON
Any hopes for a rematch?

PINBALL WIZARD
Oh, we’ll see!  I’ve got to get a bit more practice in if I’m gonna try to beat him!  But I’ll be playing a special role in tonight’s concert – my band and I will be introducing the new champion!

SALLY SIMPSON
Well, we can’t wait to see it!  (TOMMY’S FANS roar with excitement.)  My goodness, let’s say hello to the fans!

TOMMY’S FANS, mostly young girls, all holding handmade signs and pictures supporting TOMMY, get into mass hysteria and excitement when the ladies approach them.

MRS. WALKER
Hello, ladies!  You’re all part of Tommy’s fan club, aren’t you?

TOMMY’S FANS all scream at once, “YES!” and proceed to try and talk over each other about how they proclaim to be TOMMY’S #1 FAN.  They are silenced by SALLY SIMPSON.

SALLY SIMPSON
Well, I’m the president and I’ve got a say – you ladies right here are amazing for being here, and I know for a fact that Tommy is so thankful for your support – that’s why you’re all getting front row seats!

TOMMY’S FANS all scream in surprise and proceed to high-five, hug and congratulate each other.

MRS. WALKER
I think we might be due for a few more celebrity appearances – wait!  Is that who I think it is?  None other than PAC-MAN himself!

PAC-MAN enters the stage, and TOMMY’S FANS go absolutely wild!  PAC-MAN approaches the ladies.  PAC-MAN won’t actually talk, but it will be ‘pantomimed’ instead.

SALLY SIMPSON
What an honour to have you here, Mr.  … uh, MAN!  As an arcade legend yourself, do you have any inspirational thoughts for Tommy this evening?

PAC-MAN nods ‘yes’ and goes to say something into the microphone.  Suddenly, a GHOST appears and PAC-MAN is on a mission and chases the GHOST offstage.

MRS. WALKER
Well, I think I know what I can get from that …

MRS. WALKER/SALLY SIMPSON
Practice makes perfect!

CUE MUSIC!

SALLY SIMPSON
The Pinball Wizard Spectacular is about to start, and you’re in for an event you’ll never forget!  (MUSIC STARTS.  Everyone rushes onstage into position, we can’t wait for the concert to start!)  We’ll see you in there!

SALLY SIMPSON and MRS. WALKER take their positions for the beginning of the music number.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...